Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Wise Word from Jan

With the holidays well behind us, we often begin to realize that there are some areas in our lives we need to work on. This usually includes such things as physical fitness, organization of our homes and disciplines we know that are good for us. For some reason, though, we have never quite been able to nail them down.

In 2009, because of a wake up call due to my mother’s health, I have learned so much about the benefits, and yes, the joy of regular exercise. But as I worked on this over the year, being consistent, overcoming obstacles, setting reasonable goals and just exercising even when I didn’t want to, I discovered many spiritual implications through exercise! God flooded my heart with His understanding. I realized three principles He had for me.

The first is setting the core. As you exercise, it is important to tighten your abdominal muscles and retract your shoulder blades to get a good spinal alignment that prevents sore backs. You would not believe how easy and effective this is for you if done consistently! God gives us a way to strengthen our spiritual core. He calls it intimacy with Him. God loves you and wants your heart! He provided the way by giving His sinless Son to remove our sins that come between us and Him. He then gives us tools that make us close to Him. The Bible, God’s Word and prayer (talking to Him one on one) are God’s gifts to us along with His Holy Spirit. As we spend time everyday reading, meditating, memorizing, and studying God’s Word, we can know God better. Prayer helps us hear from Him as we let Him hear from us. Now, you may be thinking, “HOW? I have babies and millions of things pulling at me.” I don’t mean hours of intense study, just precious moments deliberately set aside for the One who loves you passionately.

The second principle is consistency. No matter how little time you invest, do it DAILY. You make it a habit. You turn wasted time into a benefit. You learn, you discern, you become wise, but most of all you actually love the time spent with the Father! Consistency does that. Your day is not complete without that touch that comes from spending time with your Father!

Finally, use accountability. Several years ago I went to a Precept Bible Study Conference and Kay Arthur said something that really stuck with me. She said everyone needs a Barnabas, a Timothy, and a Paul. This is accountability in three different, but strategic areas. Barnabas. This is probably your best friend. Someone to walk through life with you, to laugh with, to cry with, to raise kids with and much more! These are dear relationships that are sent by God to encourage you and help through life. Paul. This is someone who is older and wiser than you (not necessarily age wise!) They are not afraid to ask you the hard questions. They love you and guide you and pour their experiences into your life. Choose them carefully and enjoy what you receive from the wisdom and maturity they have to give. The final relationship is Timothy. This is sometimes harder and a little more intimidating. This could be someone younger, but not necessarily. They are someone you can pour your life into! Don’t let this scare you. God moves you in His direction as you walk with Him. You only have to be one step ahead! This will challenge you more and grow you faster than any other relationship!

Now you may ask, “How will I find these people?” and “How will I fit this into a busy schedule?” Just pray about it and ask the Lord to give the person, time, energy and desire. Not everyone will have all three people in your life at the same time. Remember, accountability is amazing and leads to discipline in your life.

The woman who leads in my exercise DVDs said something that always motivates me to put on my shoes and get moving, no matter what. She says, “After you have finished exercising you never say, “I wish I hadn’t done that!””

Spending time with the Lord through prayer and Bible study on a consistent schedule and seeking out and establishing relationships with accountability partners will definitely help you. You will develop the discipline it takes to obey, enjoy and love what God calls you to do. You’ll never say, “I wish I hadn’t done that!”

No comments: